Surprisingly, despite the August date the weather during our was almost Autumn-like, with that crisp feel in the air that makes you think of leaves and burnt orange, and it incites all Americans to reach for something pumpkin-spice flavoured. I am one of those Americans, and I feel no shame.
In terms of outfit ideas, it gave me a chance to test new outfit combinations for the transition weather between Summer and Autumn. With my budget-friendly small wardrobe, I need to maximise wear of all my pieces, which means wearing summer things as long as possible. Because, let’s be real, not everyone can afford to buy a new wardrobe every season!
What I’m Wearing
Top: Vila (sold out online, but other tops I’m loving for early Autumn here and here) | Military Jacket: Zara (bought in sale last year; other ones I love here and here) | Jeans: Lucky Brand | Shoes: H&M (sold out) | Sunglasses: Calvin Klein
I’m actually wearing my favourite white summer top (similar here) , which I’ve lived in recently when spending the day in the park (or stuffing my face at dinner — either or). It’s instantly ready for early Autumn with a khaki military jacket.
Your hero pieces for transition-weather dressing? A khaki military jacket (to throw over your summer top), a leopard accessory (to winterize the look), and a pair of closed-toe espadrilles (to hide your lack-of-pedicure now that summer is gone).
Now I’m not going to lie, I bought this jacket for £15 (yes, you heard me: fifteen pounds) in Zara’s nearly-gone sale a year ago. I was worried the khaki military jacket/shacket trend would die a sad death before I had a chance to wear it. Luckily for me, this trend seems to be holding on, with many khaki jackets and shackets in stock for AW16.
Also, sorry for using the word ‘shacket’ so many times; I hate me, too.
A pair of closed toe espadrilles are the perfect Summer-to-Autumn shoe. They evoke the feeling of summer with the espadrille, but allow for a chill in the air with the closed toe. Pedicures be gone!
Not featured here, but another one of my favourite ways to update a summer outfit to be more cold-weather friendly is with a leopard accessory. Whether it be your bag, shoes or even a jacket, something leopard will make your summer outfits feel less day, more night. Famous creative director Jenna Lyons has even decreed that leopard is a neutral — and I’m likely to agree with her!
I’ve rounded up my favourite finds of the above below, many of which are in the sale (winning!) and seem to have positive reviews.
Summer-to-Autumn Style: Your Hero Pieces
- Leaf Earrings | £10 (reduced from £20) | ZT at Trouva
- Maison Scotch Bohemienne Jeans | £50 (reduced from £99) | Maze at Trouva
- Khaki Aztec Print Trim Shacket | £34.99 | New Look
- La Maison De L’Espadrille Espadrille 324 Rustic in Leopard | £24 |La Sarenza
- Lace Blouse | £32 | Vila Clothes
- Phase Eight Verity Stripe Espadrilles | £45 (reduced from £75) | House of Fraser
- Cluse La Bohème Mesh Watch in Gold/White | £98 | Home & Pantry at Trouva
- Head over Heels by Dune Giggy Studded Two Part Espadrille Shoes | £32 | House of Fraser
- Pony Zip Top Clutch Bag | £32 | TopShop
- Classic Utility Jacket in Army Green | £64.95 (excl. current offer of 20% off!) | Gap